Thursday, June 30, 2011

illustration friday: midsummer night

A few months ago, I took a bunch of random pictures on the High Line of all different people.  I knew I wanted to do a painting based on one of the pictures because their gestures were great.  They were sitting on a bench in the picture but I made them lay on a make-shift raft made of mattresses and fabric for the painting.  I thought of putting lanterns in the sky because thousands of them were released a few days ago in Poland to celebrate midsummer.   Hernan Bas was my inspiration for this painting. I really admire his paintings for their elegance and color.

2 comments:

  1. the lanterns are my favorite part! I think it would be even better if the light of the lanterns were reflected by the couple under them.kinda reminds me of John Waterhouse.btw are we still hanging out:0

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes Charles. I'm starting work on Tuesday so it'll have to be during a weekend.

    ReplyDelete